Friday, July 11, 2008

TESTIMONIALS


Chan Yung-Jan (TPE)
- Australian Open Women’s Doubles Finalist, Highest ITF World Junior Ranking No. 2

“Coach Lin was my childhood coach who taught me how to play tennis. He was the only coach that I worked with who knew the importance of fundamentals. Even until today, Coach Lin’s influence and hard work still remain in my character as a tennis player and a person. Not only he was a good coach, he was also a caring and nurturing person who was very dedicated in my development as a tennis player and as a child. I learned a lot from Coach Lin as he guided me during the most important phase of my development years, and he is still my mentor.”


Andrew Hamar (Wales) -
All American Wake Forest University

Raphael Maurer is somebody who I have worked with for several years, traveling around the USA playing ITF's and Futures for a couple of months in 2003. He helped me obtain my first ATP point whilst traveling together, in only my 4th future, and similarly helped me make into Orange Bowl in my final year as a junior. Even though I am 5000 miles away, we still talk regularly and he still helps me with my game. In terms of coaching, I have never met somebody as positive and uplifting, and I can honestly say he boosted my performance significantly, working not only my technical and tactical game, but also my mental approach to tennis. It's an impressive feat when somebody is able to manage this in my opinion. As I soon graduate from Wake Forest University having made the last 16 in all Americans and been ranked as high as 35, I hope to continue working with Raphael in whatever aspect he is able to help. Ever since he worked with me since he coached me at Van Der Meer tennis academy he has always been a coach whom I have high regard for both on and off the tennis court, as he works his players hard in both areas. It has always been the utmost pleasure to work with Raphael Maurer.


Ronald Chow (HKG)
– US College Student Athlete Scholarship Recipient, former HK Top Ranked Junior and ITF World Ranked player.

“Benny came to Hong Kong 5 years ago. He was the head coach of the junior squad. I was one of his students in the past. He started teaching the Talent Group and the National Training Squad and I was one of the team members at that time. Benny is a coach who is very good at analyzing ones’ tennis ability and skills. He was able to see what I was doing wrong and what I needed to work the most. He was very motivating to me and has been an inspiration in my previous 5 years of tennis. Benny has been such a great mentor to me not just on the court, but off the court as well. He has taught me how to become more of a mature person. Benny was one of the main reasons that I was able to obtain a scholarship from Azusa Pacific University. Benny has helped me to develop a strong work ethic on and off the court. He has helped me to develop strong relationships with other team members. He has helped motivate me to become a better person, in terms of relating to other people. I have learned also to work hard on the track and in the weight room to help improve my game. There are still many things I can learn from Benny due to his good values and character.”


Zhang Ling (HKG))
-ITF World Junior Ranking No. 18

"I would like to say how much I have appreciated Raphael's coaching during these few years. With his help, I made big improvements not only on technical skills but also learned how to train physically, take good care of my body, and be stronger mentally. He always deeply understands what the players need during daily practices of the game. In addition, he really cares about players and has a lot of respect for them and what they think. I believe he will have a great contribution to the local development of tennis."

Drew Daniel ( USA ) – Former Under 14 USA National Champion, ITF World Ranking of 61.

“I met Raphael in Kansas City when he was coaching at a local country club. I started working with Raphael when I was thirteen years old. Raphael was incredibly good at picking out my weaknesses and not only working the physical aspects of my game but also the mental side. He improved my work ethic on and off the court. I have worked with Raphael when I was a top USTA player and then again as a top 100 ITF player. I believe he is very knowledgeable as a high level coach and was a great guy to work with.”


Gilbert Wong (HKG)
– US College Student Athlete Scholarship Recipient, former HK Top Ranked Junior and ITF World Ranked player.

“It is my great pleasure to write about my coach, Benny Lin. Benny was one of the best coaches in my tennis career. His training program was very professional that had rectified my weaknesses and built up my toughness attitude. He was patient and friendly coach who treated everybody the same. Until now, Benny’s words and advices are still in my mind. These words are very useful in my character development as a successful person and a professional tennis player. Besides, he helped me to contact coaches in the States to get scholarship in universities even though after I was promoted to the Sports Institute. I have learnt to be mature under Benny’s leadership and I am very happy to be one of his students and to have Benny as my mentor.”


Leung Lok Sze (HKG)
– No. 1 in Under 14 Girls’ Division and World Junior Team player.

"I was under the coaching by Benny since I was 10. He first gave me an impression that he was very disciplined, serious, tough and rarely smiled. But after a few months, I realized that he was a very warm-hearted and caring person. When we went to the U.S. during summer in 2003 for a month participating in some local tournaments, he worked so hard that he had only few hours of sleep every night. He was the driver, tour guide, coach and baby sitter. I was very impressed by his hard work and dedication to Hong Kong junior tennis development. Throughout these years, he taught me many things about tennis, but I consider the most important two things are "never give up fighting spirit" and "respectable sportsmanship". By the way, he still owes me some ice cream."


Geraldine Leong (HKG)
– CRC Girls’ Singles Champion and Junior Fed Cup World Finals player.

“Benny was a total stranger to me about 5 years ago. But I soon got to know him well through Talent Group, a training program he started through Hong Kong Tennis Association. He is easy-going and humorous... that is when it is not fitness time. He is extremely tough during fitness time, and never lets us get away with it. But that was how I grew stronger physically and mentally, and there were huge improvements, and it had definitely shown through my match play. As time went by, he arranged all sorts of programs, enabling us to broaden our vision in the tennis world – from hard courts in the US to clay courts in Spain, it was a marvelous experience. Benny is a coach that cares about and is supportive of our tennis developments. During the Fed Cup competition, I could not have asked for a better captain as he pushed all of us to our limits, and we achieved the unthinkable. I believe he is definitely the coach all players are looking for if you have the passion for tennis!”

No comments: